Grifols (NSDQ:GRFS) said today that it paid $51 million for a 49% stake in Access Biologicals, in a deal that includes an option to acquire the rest of the business. That option, for the remaining 51% share in Vista, Calif.-based Access, goes live in 2022, Grifols said. The agreement also includes a provision to supply Access with non-human-use […]
The FDA issued a warning today that the strong magnetic fields used in an MRI exam can affect implantable infusion pumps. The federal watchdog has received reports of serious adverse events, including patient death, associated with using an infusion pump in an MR environment. The reports claim that some patients have experienced inaccurate medication dosing […]
Navidea Biopharmaceuticals (NYSE:NAVB) said today that it inked a definitive asset purchase agreement with Cardinal Health (NYSE:CAH) for its Lymphoseek product. Dublin, Ohio-based Navidea said it’s due to receive $80 million at closing for the lymphatic mapping and lymph node biopsy product, plus the opportunity for $230 million in milestone payments through 2026. More than $20 […]
Researchers from the Western New England University developed a device the size of a small book that diabetes patients can use to monitor their blood glucose levels. Unlike traditional finger-stick testing, this minimally invasive breathalyzer uses acetone levels in patients’ breath to determine blood glucose levels. The team, led by Ronny Priefer and Michael Rust, presented […]
Researchers from the University of California San Diego used acoustic waves to move fluids through small channels, marking the 1st time that surface acoustic waves have been used at the nanoscale. The team’s work was published this week in Advanced Functional Materials. The findings are an important step towards manufacturing small, portable devices for drug discovery […]
Seegene (KSDQ:096530) said today that it inked a collaboration deal with Hologic (NSDQ:HOLX) to develop high-multiplex, real-time PCR reagents for the developing Hologic Panther Fusion system. According to the agreement, Seegene will develop and manufacture multiplex assays for Hologic’s next-gen molecular diagnostics platform; Hologic will receive worldwide commercialization rights to the assays. Financial terms of the deal were […]
Imaging systems maker Lumicell Diagnostics amended a previously closed $1 million funding round after landing another $560,000 in financing from 2 new investors, regulatory filings show.
As MicroCHIPS Inc. prepares to leave the laboratory and enter clinical development, the company is bringing in a new CEO to replace outgoing co-founder John Santini.
The Bedford, Mass.-based drug delivery systems developer tapped Ajit Gill, the former CEO of Auspex Pharmaceuticals and Nektar Therapeutics, for its corner office. In addition to his duties as president and CEO, Gill will also sit on the company’s board of directors.
Isis Biopolymer Inc., a company developing a new generation of non-invasive drug delivery patches, has raised $3 million through an equity sale to existing investors.
The Providence, R.I.-based firm has developed the Isis Patch, a compact, wireless, active iontophoretic patch using a design that implements advances in microprocessors, thin film batteries, biopolymers and adhesives.
In a statement sent to MassDevice, CEO Emma Durand said the current round “clearly shows the confidence of the investment community in Isis Biopolymer and our innovative transdermal drug delivery and biosensor technology.”
Echo Therapeutics Inc. (OTC:ECTE) reached a milestone with one of its two flagship products, the Prelude SkinPrep system, which is ready for clinical trials examining its use in dispensing lidocaine.
The Franklin, Mass.-based company, which is also developing a needle-free glucose monitoring system called the Symphony tCGM, said its development work on the Prelude system is complete and it’s ready for a study in the “near term.”